Bully sticks are made from beef, and are dog treats or chews that are made from the penis or pizzle of a bull. Thus it is made of pure muscle and nothing else. They are made differently by different vendors but are a favorite among all the dogs. They are frequently sold loose in bins and are dried without cooking for consumption. Many vets themselves are unaware of the body part used in bully sticks. If bully is mentioned in the name of your dog’s chewy treat, you can be sure that the penis is part of it.
Most buyers are aghast at this revelation, but soon get used to it as something the family dog is fond of.
How are they made?
When cattle are processed for human consumption, the pizzle or penis is gathered with other parts that eventually become treats for dogs. Trachea, gullets, lungs all become chewy treats. Though these parts are clearly spelt out on the packets, they are known as just that – bully sticks.
The penis, which measure about 25 inches is cleaned and hung out to dry so all the fluids drain off. It is then stretched to about 40 inches and then divided into smaller sticks. The standard length sold are 6″ and 12″ or anywhere between four and thirty inches.
How should you store them
You can store your bully sticks in zip bags so they can be used and reused again and again. You can also preserve them in the freezer to prolong their life and to increase their hardness. You can give 12″ piece to your dog and keep the remaining half chewed piece in the freezer and give it to your dog the next day after it has become hard. The freezer will keep it fresh. You should not store them in open as otherwise insects could attack and contaminate them.
Different types of bully sticks:
They may be curly, braided or full cane bully sticks. They can be even shaped like pretzels or rings.
How are they useful
- They keep puppies and young dogs busy chewing, so that they don’t chew on footwear, curtains, newspapers and just about anything they normally like to do. It will keep them busy for hours together as it takes a long time to chew.
- They do not have the danger of bones being embedded in them. They are pure muscle.
- They are made 100% of a single natural ingredient and does not contain fillers. They are a good source of protein.
- Dogs can be disciplined with the help of chewy bully sticks-
- Since they are all natural, they tend to stay longer than other chewy products like manufactured bones.
- They are good for the dental health of the dog.
Why they are not recommended
- An obese dog could get fatter because of the protein content.
- They are packed with calories with 9 to 22 calories per inch of the bully stick. Excessive feeding of these is not good.
- They could be contaminated with bacteria. Pet owners are advised to wash their hands after use. An outbreak of salmonella was linked to contaminated dry pet food in 2010. E. Coli, Clostridium Difficile, Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) were some of the pathogens found in chewy treats.
- While many pet owners are against the concept of pet food because they incorporate the byproducts of the meat industry, they are unaware that bully sticks are also a byproduct.
Where does the meat come from.
The pizzle or penis comes from free range cattle in South America, who are hundred percent grass fed. Most are odor free.
Freeze-drying, also called lyophilization, is a process where food is quickly frozen, and then the ice is turned into water vapor and removed by placing the frozen food in a vacuum, resulting in a dehydrated product. Freeze-drying food requires special equipment, so people do not usually do this at home, instead purchasing products from companies that specialize in this process. Continue reading
93) You can mention tips on how you can eliminate stress in life and who the happiest person you’ve met is on your blog profile. Of course, you can share the services that you have had and the current business you have today. As an end, you can talk about the blog you like reading and the musician of your choice.
64) Paste down the gifts you have received and given during the last holiday – or share your paranormal beliefs on your member profile. Many recommend places they’ve visited like lakes or mountains, as well as state magazines where they have been published in. As a last part, you can add your computer game of choice and activity for relaxation.
33) You can also exhibit the classes you have taken in college, and the social networks that you belong to on your blog profile. A lot of people describe themselves as parents and talk about positive changes they have made in life. You can wrap it up with your favorite strategy and feel materials.
This little series will provide you with a total of 120 different social media profile tips. You will be presented with an array of ideas for various information to include to your linkedin, twitter or any other social networking sites. The more individualized and professional content you put in, the higher the possibility that potential clients will want to be in your friends list, follow you or buy your merchandise. This type of knowledge can improve your confidence, power, credibility, proficiency, and it can establish bond and a trustworthy relationship with your clients.
For the 2nd half of 2011, new songs and new artists are entering the limelight. The likes of Nicki Minaj, Mike Posner, Miguel and etc. Unlike last week’s Top 10, Lil Wayne’s single ‘How to Love’ went down to the 5th spot.
For this month, Dj Khaled’s collaboration with Drake, Rick Ross and Lil Wayne made it to the top of the list. The song entitled, ‘I’m On One’ mad it to the top of the list this week. Continue reading
NASCAR is otherwise known as National Association for Stock Car Auto racing. But for many of us, we know it as one of America’s most exciting car race games. It even becomes cooler if we are in the arena where all the action happens; the raving of engines before the start off shot, the wild cheers as the cars gain momentum and try to outdo each in a cut throat speed. If we are closer to the race track we can’t help but hold our breaths as the multi-colored cars whizz past at a neck break speed.
Comic books. You either read them or you don’t. There’s not a great deal of gray area for people when it comes to reading and collecting comics. It’s a lot like anchovies- you love them or you hate them.
Luckily, I’m not here to write about comic books (or anchovies), but rather a series of events that more and more people can’t help but hear about in the news, on TV, in magazines and all over the internet… a Comic-Con.
The world indeed became more interesting with the advent of the iPad. Designed to carry out countless tasks, the iPad provides the users just the convenience any person would desire from his or her handy-dandy gadget. Evaluating the pros of a must-acquire gadget, let’s tackle 5 good things about the iPad. Continue reading